Maple-Bacon Roasted Apples & Celeriac
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Roasted apples and celery root (celeriac) with a maple-bacon glaze make a perfect fall side dish. If you can’t find pure maple syrup, use an equal amount of brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon of water in Step 3.
- 1 large celery root (celeriac), about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss celery root with oil, pepper and salt and spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apples, toss gently and continue roasting until the apples and celery root are tender, 6 to 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until just crispy. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon; discard all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat. Add maple syrup to the fat in the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Add the cooked bacon and thyme (or rosemary). When the celery root and apples are tender, gently toss them with the maple-bacon glaze and roast for about 5 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 236 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 618 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012