From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Tropical mango and sweet strawberries are the perfect marriage in this pretty, crowd-pleasing jello recipe. We like the subtle tang the orange juice provides in this strawberry jello recipe, but using all mango juice works well too.
- 2 cups mango juice
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold orange juice
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup diced mango
- Bring mango juice to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Meanwhile, pour water into a large heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over the water; let stand for 3 minutes. Add the mango juice and stir to completely dissolve the gelatin, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and stir for 1 minute to dissolve. Whisk in orange juice.
- Refrigerate until the mixture is the consistency of thin pudding and is just starting to set around the edges, 1 to 1 3/4 hours. The time will vary depending on the size of your bowl and how cold your refrigerator is. After 1 hour, start checking every 5 to 10 minutes because it thickens quickly after that.
- Gently but thoroughly whisk the mixture until it’s uniform. Ladle just enough into a 6-cup mold to cover the bottom by about 1/2 inch. Nestle strawberries into the layer of jello, pushing it into any grooves in the mold. Gently ladle another thin layer of jello over the fruit to help hold it in place. Mix mango into the remaining jello in the bowl. Gently ladle the mixture into the mold and smooth the top. Cover the mold with its top or with plastic wrap, without touching the jello.
- Refrigerate until very firm, about 4 hours. To test if it’s ready, touch it with your finger. If your finger does not stick, it’s done.
- To unmold, moisten fingertips and gently pull the top edges of the jello away from the mold. Fill a bowl with warm (but not hot) water; dip the mold just until the water nears the top. Hold it under for 20 seconds. Take it out of the water. Place a large plate over the mold. Holding the mold and plate together, invert and gently shake to loosen. Then slowly and gently pull the mold off. If the jello doesn’t come out, dip the mold back into the water for another 15 to 20 seconds to help loosen it from the sides.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days; unmold just before serving. | Equipment: 6-cup gelatin mold
Per serving: 89 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 12 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 132 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (54% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)