From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
A stunning golden-orange color, this lively sorbet is even more dramatic served with Raspberry Sauce.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 pounds ripe mangoes, (3 large or 4 medium), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the liquid comes to a full boil and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Puree mango in a food processor or blender. Work the puree through a fine sieve. (This will remove any fibers, the amount of which can vary.) Measure out 2 cups of puree (freeze any extra for another use) and stir into the syrup, along with lime juice.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth.)
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker or food processor
Per serving: 175 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)