Mango-Chile Chutney (Aam Chutney)
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This sweet, tart, hot chutney showcases the beauty of mangoes, but also works wonderfully with pineapple. Serve with Griddle-Cooked Corn Flatbread or atop a piece of grilled wild salmon.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 cups cubed ripe mango, (1/2-inch cubes) or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6-8 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds have stopped popping, 20 to 30 seconds. Add mango (or pineapple), raisins and chiles to taste. (It may spatter.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump and the fruit is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until it dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add water and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is syrupy-thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chutney, without the cilantro, for up to 1 week. Stir in cilantro just before serving and reheat, if desired.
- Ingredient Note: Black mustard seeds are slightly stronger than the more commonly available yellow kind, the source of American ground mustard.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 115 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008