Mango-Chile Chutney (Aam Chutney)
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This sweet, tart, hot chutney showcases the beauty of mangoes, but also works wonderfully with pineapple. Serve with Griddle-Cooked Corn Flatbread or atop a piece of grilled wild salmon.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 cups cubed ripe mango, (1/2-inch cubes) or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6-8 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds have stopped popping, 20 to 30 seconds. Add mango (or pineapple), raisins and chiles to taste. (It may spatter.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump and the fruit is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until it dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add water and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is syrupy-thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chutney, without the cilantro, for up to 1 week. Stir in cilantro just before serving and reheat, if desired.
- Ingredient Note: Black mustard seeds are slightly stronger than the more commonly available yellow kind, the source of American ground mustard.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 115 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2008