Mango-Chile Chutney (Aam Chutney)
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This sweet, tart, hot chutney showcases the beauty of mangoes, but also works wonderfully with pineapple. Serve with Griddle-Cooked Corn Flatbread or atop a piece of grilled wild salmon.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 cups cubed ripe mango, (1/2-inch cubes) or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6-8 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds have stopped popping, 20 to 30 seconds. Add mango (or pineapple), raisins and chiles to taste. (It may spatter.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump and the fruit is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until it dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add water and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is syrupy-thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chutney, without the cilantro, for up to 1 week. Stir in cilantro just before serving and reheat, if desired.
- Ingredient Note: Black mustard seeds are slightly stronger than the more commonly available yellow kind, the source of American ground mustard.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 115 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008