Mango-Chile Chutney (Aam Chutney)
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This sweet, tart, hot chutney showcases the beauty of mangoes, but also works wonderfully with pineapple. Serve with Griddle-Cooked Corn Flatbread or atop a piece of grilled wild salmon.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds, (see Ingredient Note)
- 2 cups cubed ripe mango, (1/2-inch cubes) or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6-8 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds have stopped popping, 20 to 30 seconds. Add mango (or pineapple), raisins and chiles to taste. (It may spatter.) Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump and the fruit is lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook, stirring, until it dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add water and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is syrupy-thick, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chutney, without the cilantro, for up to 1 week. Stir in cilantro just before serving and reheat, if desired.
- Ingredient Note: Black mustard seeds are slightly stronger than the more commonly available yellow kind, the source of American ground mustard.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 115 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 79 mg sodium; 169 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008