Vietnamese Mango & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This sweet-spicy chicken salad recipe pairs crunchy cabbage, mango and chicken with a Vietnamese-inspired dressing made with fish sauce and lime juice.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (about 8 ounces; see Tips)
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced
- Combine lime juice, oil, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken, stir to coat and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add napa and red cabbage, mango, carrot, mint, scallions and pepper to the chicken; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
- Poach chicken to quickly cook it for recipes that call for cooked chicken. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 385 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 876 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (235% daily value), Vitamin A (177% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- July/August 2013