Vietnamese Mango & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This sweet-spicy chicken salad recipe pairs crunchy cabbage, mango and chicken with a Vietnamese-inspired dressing made with fish sauce and lime juice.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (about 8 ounces; see Tips)
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced
- Combine lime juice, oil, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken, stir to coat and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add napa and red cabbage, mango, carrot, mint, scallions and pepper to the chicken; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
- Poach chicken to quickly cook it for recipes that call for cooked chicken. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 385 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 876 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (235% daily value), Vitamin A (177% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013