Vietnamese Mango & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This sweet-spicy chicken salad recipe pairs crunchy cabbage, mango and chicken with a Vietnamese-inspired dressing made with fish sauce and lime juice.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (about 8 ounces; see Tips)
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced
- Combine lime juice, oil, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken, stir to coat and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add napa and red cabbage, mango, carrot, mint, scallions and pepper to the chicken; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
- Poach chicken to quickly cook it for recipes that call for cooked chicken. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 385 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 876 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (235% daily value), Vitamin A (177% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013