Vietnamese Mango & Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This sweet-spicy chicken salad recipe pairs crunchy cabbage, mango and chicken with a Vietnamese-inspired dressing made with fish sauce and lime juice.
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (about 8 ounces; see Tips)
- 2 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced
- Combine lime juice, oil, brown sugar, fish sauce and garlic in a large bowl. Add chicken, stir to coat and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Add napa and red cabbage, mango, carrot, mint, scallions and pepper to the chicken; toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
- Poach chicken to quickly cook it for recipes that call for cooked chicken. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 385 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber; 706 mg sodium; 876 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (235% daily value), Vitamin A (177% dv), Folate (30% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013