From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread, and the almond-rich dough in this recipe is shaped like a loaf and baked. Like Italian biscotti, the loaf is then sliced, and the slices are rebaked into crisp cookies.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whiskey or brandy
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs, egg white, whiskey (or brandy), yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla and almond extract (if using); mix until smooth. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add almonds and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cakes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Return to the oven and bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching baking sheets midway through baking. Turn off the oven, and leave mandelbrot in the oven until crisp, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994