From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread, and the almond-rich dough in this recipe is shaped like a loaf and baked. Like Italian biscotti, the loaf is then sliced, and the slices are rebaked into crisp cookies.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whiskey or brandy
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs, egg white, whiskey (or brandy), yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla and almond extract (if using); mix until smooth. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add almonds and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cakes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Return to the oven and bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching baking sheets midway through baking. Turn off the oven, and leave mandelbrot in the oven until crisp, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994