From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread, and the almond-rich dough in this recipe is shaped like a loaf and baked. Like Italian biscotti, the loaf is then sliced, and the slices are rebaked into crisp cookies.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whiskey or brandy
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs, egg white, whiskey (or brandy), yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla and almond extract (if using); mix until smooth. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add almonds and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cakes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Return to the oven and bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching baking sheets midway through baking. Turn off the oven, and leave mandelbrot in the oven until crisp, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994