From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread, and the almond-rich dough in this recipe is shaped like a loaf and baked. Like Italian biscotti, the loaf is then sliced, and the slices are rebaked into crisp cookies.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whiskey or brandy
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs, egg white, whiskey (or brandy), yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla and almond extract (if using); mix until smooth. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add almonds and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cakes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Return to the oven and bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching baking sheets midway through baking. Turn off the oven, and leave mandelbrot in the oven until crisp, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994