From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Mandelbrot is Yiddish for almond bread, and the almond-rich dough in this recipe is shaped like a loaf and baked. Like Italian biscotti, the loaf is then sliced, and the slices are rebaked into crisp cookies.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whiskey or brandy
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, or applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- Cream sugar, butter and oil in a medium bowl using an electric mixer on medium. Add eggs, egg white, whiskey (or brandy), yogurt (or applesauce), vanilla and almond extract (if using); mix until smooth. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add almonds and raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut the cakes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Return to the oven and bake until light brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching baking sheets midway through baking. Turn off the oven, and leave mandelbrot in the oven until crisp, about 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 93 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 83 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994