Malt Shop Chocolate Ice Cream
A favorite flavor from soda-shop days turned into a low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk, (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place gelatin in a small bowl; sprinkle in water and let stand until softened, 1 minute or longer.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sweetened condensed milk, malted-milk powder, cocoa and corn syrup in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add chocolate and the softened gelatin; stir until the chocolate has melted. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more