Malt Shop Chocolate Ice Cream
A favorite flavor from soda-shop days turned into a low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk, (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place gelatin in a small bowl; sprinkle in water and let stand until softened, 1 minute or longer.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sweetened condensed milk, malted-milk powder, cocoa and corn syrup in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add chocolate and the softened gelatin; stir until the chocolate has melted. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more