Malt Shop Chocolate Ice Cream
A favorite flavor from soda-shop days turned into a low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk, (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place gelatin in a small bowl; sprinkle in water and let stand until softened, 1 minute or longer.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sweetened condensed milk, malted-milk powder, cocoa and corn syrup in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add chocolate and the softened gelatin; stir until the chocolate has melted. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)