Malt Shop Chocolate Ice Cream
A favorite flavor from soda-shop days turned into a low-fat ice cream.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk, (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place gelatin in a small bowl; sprinkle in water and let stand until softened, 1 minute or longer.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, sweetened condensed milk, malted-milk powder, cocoa and corn syrup in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add chocolate and the softened gelatin; stir until the chocolate has melted. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Ice cream maker
Per serving: 318 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 705 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more