This was delicious and even my husband loved it! There was enough crunchy breadcrumbs and cheese to keep it satisfying, but baking this made it so much more healthy. I will definitely make this again.
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
Eggplant Parmesan doesn’t have to include layers of deep-fried eggplant and mountains of cheese. This healthy eggplant Parmesan recipe has just enough melty mozzarella between layers of breaded baked eggplant to be satisfying but not pile on the calories and fat. Don’t skip the step of salting the eggplant, especially if you want to freeze one of the casseroles. Salting helps to draw out extra moisture so the eggplant holds up better in the freezer. Serve with a salad of bitter greens tossed with a red-wine vinaigrette. This recipe makes enough for two 8-by-8-inch casseroles (four servings each)—have one for dinner tonight and freeze the other for a night when you don’t have time to make dinner.
2 Reviews for Eggplant Parmesan
I made this using Udi's gluten free Italian breadcrumbs. I also did not dip in flour first, but rather added a little GF flour to my breadcrumbs and just did one dip in the egg whites and then one dip in the crumb/flour mixture. I cooked the eggplant on convection setting 425 for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Then at the end I broiled it on 450 convection (for about 5 minutes) to make it extra crispy. That way, after baking with the sauce and cheese, it still has some crispiness to it. Also, for the sauce, I used Hunts Fire Roasted Tomatoes and pureed them in a blender, adding fresh garlic, basil & oregano.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)