A fragrant combination of tea, pineapple juice and spices comes together in a delicious sauce for this chicken and vegetable stir-fry. Serve over jasmine rice with wilted spinach.
- 1/2 cup rice wine, or medium-dry sherry
- 1/4 cup strong-brewed black tea
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Combine rice wine (or sherry), tea, juice, soy sauce and honey in a 2-cup glass measure; set aside.
- Combine cinnamon, ginger, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly on both sides of chicken breasts.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add bell pepper, scallions and garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Add the reserved rice wine-tea mixture. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Simmer gently, spooning the sauce over the chicken, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Slice the chicken into thin diagonal slices and fan on plates. Spoon the sauce and vegetables over. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 120 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 45 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat, 6 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique