A fragrant combination of tea, pineapple juice and spices comes together in a delicious sauce for this chicken and vegetable stir-fry. Serve over jasmine rice with wilted spinach.
- 1/2 cup rice wine, or medium-dry sherry
- 1/4 cup strong-brewed black tea
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Combine rice wine (or sherry), tea, juice, soy sauce and honey in a 2-cup glass measure; set aside.
- Combine cinnamon, ginger, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly on both sides of chicken breasts.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, reduce heat to medium and cook until golden outside and no longer pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add bell pepper, scallions and garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Add the reserved rice wine-tea mixture. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Simmer gently, spooning the sauce over the chicken, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Slice the chicken into thin diagonal slices and fan on plates. Spoon the sauce and vegetables over. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 342 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 120 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 45 g protein; 1 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 478 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fat, 6 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique