Madras Chicken & Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Curry powder and mango chutney are the flavor-intensive secret ingredients in this swift and simple Indian-inspired salad. If you want, double this recipe and you'll have a great lunch for the next day.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Place chicken in a small skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, chutney, curry and cilantro in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Add broccoli, onion, cashews and the cooked chicken; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover chutney for up to 6 months. Whisk with yogurt for a quick dressing, dip or marinade; serve alongside grilled meat, fish or chicken; blend with reduced-fat cream cheese for a zingy spread.
Per serving: 272 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two