Madras Chicken & Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Curry powder and mango chutney are the flavor-intensive secret ingredients in this swift and simple Indian-inspired salad. If you want, double this recipe and you'll have a great lunch for the next day.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Place chicken in a small skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, chutney, curry and cilantro in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Add broccoli, onion, cashews and the cooked chicken; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover chutney for up to 6 months. Whisk with yogurt for a quick dressing, dip or marinade; serve alongside grilled meat, fish or chicken; blend with reduced-fat cream cheese for a zingy spread.
Per serving: 272 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two