Madras Chicken & Broccoli Salad
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Curry powder and mango chutney are the flavor-intensive secret ingredients in this swift and simple Indian-inspired salad. If you want, double this recipe and you'll have a great lunch for the next day.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney, (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- Place chicken in a small skillet or saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt, chutney, curry and cilantro in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Add broccoli, onion, cashews and the cooked chicken; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover chutney for up to 6 months. Whisk with yogurt for a quick dressing, dip or marinade; serve alongside grilled meat, fish or chicken; blend with reduced-fat cream cheese for a zingy spread.
Per serving: 272 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 61 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 232 mg sodium; 660 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Vitamin A (50% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two