From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Macque Choux (pronounced “mock shoe”) is a Cajun corn and vegetable sauté. Here we eschew the traditional bacon fat or butter for heart-healthy olive oil. Try it at your next backyard barbecue.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut from cob (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook, stirring, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in tomato, scallions, thyme, paprika, salt and cayenne.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove kernels, stand a cob on its stem end in a bowl and slice them off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 105 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 333 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008