From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Macque Choux (pronounced “mock shoe”) is a Cajun corn and vegetable sauté. Here we eschew the traditional bacon fat or butter for heart-healthy olive oil. Try it at your next backyard barbecue.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut from cob (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook, stirring, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in tomato, scallions, thyme, paprika, salt and cayenne.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove kernels, stand a cob on its stem end in a bowl and slice them off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 105 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 333 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2008