Macaroni with Sausage & Ricotta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.Add to lose it
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces mild pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
- Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.
Per serving: 362 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 441 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014