Macaroni with Sausage & Ricotta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces mild pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
- Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.
Per serving: 362 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 441 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2014