Macaroni with Sausage & Ricotta
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.Add to lose it
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 ounces mild pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 12 ounces thin tube-shaped pasta, such as pasta al ceppo
- 6 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, combine oil, onion and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and crumbling the sausage with a spoon, until the onion is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until the tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender.
- Just before the pasta is done, return the sauce to medium-low heat. Add ricotta and basil and stir until combined. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce and Parmigiano. Serve at once.
Per serving: 362 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 441 mg sodium; 276 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2014