From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Old-fashioned macaroni salad sometimes contains jarred pimientos, diced ham or pickle relish, but this version is simple and deliciously plain with fresh chopped celery, carrot and onion. A combination of low-fat mayo and sour cream lightens up the dressing, and whole-wheat elbow noodles, spinach and edamame add extra nutrients.
- 3 cups whole-wheat elbow noodles (14- to 16-ounce package)
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen (thawed) edamame
- 1/3 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper in a small bowl.
- When the noodles have cooled, add celery, carrots, onion, spinach, edamame and the mayonnaise mixture; stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 190 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2011