Macaroni & Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
The sauce for this simple mac-and-cheese uses low-fat cottage cheese as its base. Just a cup of sharp Cheddar adds lots of flavor with not too much fat.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
- Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (75% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993