Macaroni & Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
The sauce for this simple mac-and-cheese uses low-fat cottage cheese as its base. Just a cup of sharp Cheddar adds lots of flavor with not too much fat.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
- Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (75% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993