Macaroni & Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
The sauce for this simple mac-and-cheese uses low-fat cottage cheese as its base. Just a cup of sharp Cheddar adds lots of flavor with not too much fat.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
- Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (75% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- September/October 1993