Macaroni & Cheese
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
The sauce for this simple mac-and-cheese uses low-fat cottage cheese as its base. Just a cup of sharp Cheddar adds lots of flavor with not too much fat.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water; set aside. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
- Heat 3/4 cup milk in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into the hot milk and cook, whisking, until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pureed cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked macaroni. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake until bubbling and brown, about 35 minutes.
Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (75% daily value), Calcium (38% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993