This is a creamy, comforting dish that can satisfy a craving for mac and cheese without over-the-top fat and calories. I used reduced-fat cheddar instead of regular but will use full fat next time...the recipe needs it. The crunchy top is great.
Mac & Cheese
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
This healthy, homemade macaroni and cheese recipe is topped with plenty of golden breadcrumbs. If you want to add a little flair to this healthy macaroni and cheese, use aged Gruyere instead of Cheddar and add extra ingredients like peas, chopped cooked mushrooms or chopped ham. This recipe makes more Cream Sauce without the Cream than you’ll need for the macaroni and cheese. Refrigerate or freeze the extra sauce and use it in place of heavy cream in any sauce or soup that calls for cream.
2 Reviews for Mac & Cheese
For those of you who like cheese a lot this may not be the recipe for you. It only has a cup of cheddar cheese and a little bit of parm cheese on the top. However, my husband who loves cheese likes it. The recipe involves a substitute cream recipe that you can use for other recipes that need a white cream recipe, which I thought tasted better than the fattening cream. For the bread crumbs I ended up using regular and panko mixed together so that it was extra crispy on the top. Good comfort recipe!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)