Mâche & Chicken Salad with Honey-Tahini Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
In this salad, mâche is tossed with spring ingredients—new red-skinned potatoes and fresh peas—and a lemony tahini dressing and chicken.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound new or baby red potatoes
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1/4 teaspoon plus pinch of salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- 4 cups mâche, or baby spinach
- 1 cup shelled English peas, (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled) or thawed frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- To prepare dressing: Combine lemon juice, 1/3 cup oil, tahini, honey and minced garlic in a blender, a jar with a tight-fitting lid or a medium bowl. Blend, shake or whisk until smooth. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- To prepare salad: Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, slice or quarter.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size pieces.
- Season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with 1/2 clove garlic and a pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with the potatoes and mâche (or spinach). Pour 1/2 cup dressing over the potatoes and greens; gently toss to coat. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 3/4 cup dressing for up to 3 days.) Add peas, shallot and the shredded chicken; gently toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Tahini is a thick paste of ground sesame seeds. Look for it in large supermarkets in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters.
Per serving: 381 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 10 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 4 g fiber; 525 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (45% daily value), Folate & Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)