Lusciously Nutty Holiday Logs
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Registered Dietitian Mary LaRock flavored these phyllo rolls with orange and dark chocolate for a winning cookie that will be a lovely addition to any holiday cookie platter.
Lusciously Nutty Holiday Logs
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup plus 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, (9-by-14-inch), thawed
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- To prepare logs: Combine nuts, 1/3 cup sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean, dry surface. Coat thoroughly with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of phyllo and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle one-quarter of the walnut mixture (about 1/3 cup) evenly over the phyllo.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the large phyllo rectangle lengthwise into 3 strips then in half crosswise to form 6 smaller rectangular strips.
- Beginning at the short ends, loosely roll each strip into a neat log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and walnut mixture.
- Place the logs about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with the remaining 5 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake the logs, in batches, until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare topping: Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on High for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave for 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Transfer the chocolate to a plastic sandwich bag. Snip off one corner, being careful not to make the opening too large. Squeeze the melted chocolate decoratively across the top of each cooled log. Let stand at room temperature until the chocolate is completely set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze without the chocolate drizzle (Step 8) for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature before decorating with the chocolate drizzle.
Per cookie: 76 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- November/December 2008