Lusciously Nutty Holiday Logs
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Registered Dietitian Mary LaRock flavored these phyllo rolls with orange and dark chocolate for a winning cookie that will be a lovely addition to any holiday cookie platter.
Lusciously Nutty Holiday Logs
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup plus 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 sheets phyllo dough, (9-by-14-inch), thawed
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
- To prepare logs: Combine nuts, 1/3 cup sugar, orange zest, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean, dry surface. Coat thoroughly with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of phyllo and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle one-quarter of the walnut mixture (about 1/3 cup) evenly over the phyllo.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the large phyllo rectangle lengthwise into 3 strips then in half crosswise to form 6 smaller rectangular strips.
- Beginning at the short ends, loosely roll each strip into a neat log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and walnut mixture.
- Place the logs about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with the remaining 5 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake the logs, in batches, until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To prepare topping: Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on High for 30 seconds. Stir. Continue to microwave for 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Transfer the chocolate to a plastic sandwich bag. Snip off one corner, being careful not to make the opening too large. Squeeze the melted chocolate decoratively across the top of each cooled log. Let stand at room temperature until the chocolate is completely set.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze without the chocolate drizzle (Step 8) for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature before decorating with the chocolate drizzle.
Per cookie: 76 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 31 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 2008