Luscious Lemon Squares
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
This bake-sale bestseller deserved a fix. It was easy to cut the yolks from the filling but trickier to slim down the shortbread crust. We managed to trim the overall fat by half and maintain the tender crust. These are best served the day they are made.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, (1 large lemon)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting over top
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Stir together cake flour and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingertips until crumbly. Gradually add oil, stirring with a fork. Toss with fingertips until evenly moistened. (The mixture will be crumbly.) Press into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden.
- To make filling: Beat egg whites, sugar and lemon zest together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg-white mixture and beat until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Pour over the hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is light golden and set. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- Coat a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut into squares. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 116 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 1992