Luscious Lemon Squares
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
This bake-sale bestseller deserved a fix. It was easy to cut the yolks from the filling but trickier to slim down the shortbread crust. We managed to trim the overall fat by half and maintain the tender crust. These are best served the day they are made.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, (1 large lemon)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting over top
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Stir together cake flour and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingertips until crumbly. Gradually add oil, stirring with a fork. Toss with fingertips until evenly moistened. (The mixture will be crumbly.) Press into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden.
- To make filling: Beat egg whites, sugar and lemon zest together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg-white mixture and beat until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Pour over the hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is light golden and set. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- Coat a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut into squares. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 116 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992