Luscious Lemon Squares
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
This bake-sale bestseller deserved a fix. It was easy to cut the yolks from the filling but trickier to slim down the shortbread crust. We managed to trim the overall fat by half and maintain the tender crust. These are best served the day they are made.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, (1 large lemon)
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting over top
- To make crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Stir together cake flour and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl. Cut cream cheese into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingertips until crumbly. Gradually add oil, stirring with a fork. Toss with fingertips until evenly moistened. (The mixture will be crumbly.) Press into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden.
- To make filling: Beat egg whites, sugar and lemon zest together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir together all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add to the egg-white mixture and beat until blended. Beat in lemon juice. Pour over the hot crust and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the top is light golden and set. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
- Coat a sharp knife with cooking spray and cut into squares. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Per serving: 116 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)