Louisiana Catfish with Okra & Corn
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
Purchased Cajun or Creole seasoning flavors both the catfish and vegetables in this 30-minute dinner. This dish is best with fresh vegetables, but we were pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out with frozen okra and corn. Serve with cheese grits and a green salad.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1 3/4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears; see Tip), or frozen
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning, divided
- 1 pound catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 4 portions
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine okra, corn, onion, 2 teaspoons oil and 3/4 teaspoon Cajun (or Creole) seasoning in a large bowl. Spread the mixture out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring twice, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of catfish with the remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun (or Creole) seasoning. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add the fish and cook until just cooked through and starting to brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve with the roasted vegetables.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove corn from the cob, stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 288 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 311 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Folate & Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Mardi Gras
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)