Loaded Spinach Salad
Like many spinach salads, this one features lots of chopped-up hard-boiled egg. But since most of the calories in an egg are in the yolk, this recipe uses just two whole eggs, plus the whites from six additional eggs, for a satisfying spinach salad that keeps the calories in check.
Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or nonfat milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing, divided
- 1 8-ounce can beets, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted (see Tip)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk (or milk), yogurt, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Add cheese and stir, mashing with a spoon until the cheese is incorporated.
- To prepare salad: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at the lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they are completely cooled. Peel the eggs; discard 6 of the yolks. Chop the remaining yolks and whites.
- Toss spinach and 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a large bowl. Divide between 2 plates. Top with the chopped eggs, beets, carrots and pecans. Drizzle with 2 more tablespoons dressing. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 1/4 cups dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week. Stir before using.
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 270 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 189 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 803 mg sodium; 1098 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (359% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Vitamin C (55% dv), Potassium (32% dv), Iron (31% dv), Calcium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient