Loaded Baked Potato Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
This healthy loaded baked potato soup recipe is inspired by the comforting flavor of fully loaded baked potatoes with bacon, Cheddar, sour cream and chives. To make a vegetarian version of this potato soup, omit the bacon and use “no-chicken” broth. Serve it with a green salad and crusty bread to clean up the bowl.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds medium russet potatoes (2-3), scrubbed and diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped chives or finely chopped scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain, leaving the oil and bacon drippings in the pan. Add onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer about half the potatoes to a bowl and mash until almost smooth, but still a little chunky. Return the mashed potatoes to the pan along with sour cream, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon, the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and chives (or scallion greens).
304 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 737 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (29% daily value), Vitamin C (24% dv), Calcium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2013