Little Easter Cookies (Paskalina)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
These cookies are often served with coffee or sweet wine for dunking. Mahlepi is a spice ground from the inner seeds of cherrystones; it tastes like bitter almonds. Arab people call it mahlab. You can find it in Greek or Middle Eastern markets.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mahlepi, (optional)
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and place oil, butter, eggs, lemon zest and mahlepi, if using, in the well. Mix with a fork, incorporating flour from the sides. Then knead gently with your hands just until you have a smooth ball of dough; the dough will be quite soft.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8-inch flattened round. Cut the round into 8 wedges, then cut each wedge into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 6 inches long. Form each rope into a circle by overlapping the ends, or into a loop by twisting the ends together. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden. Remove to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per cookie: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994