Little Easter Cookies (Paskalina)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
These cookies are often served with coffee or sweet wine for dunking. Mahlepi is a spice ground from the inner seeds of cherrystones; it tastes like bitter almonds. Arab people call it mahlab. You can find it in Greek or Middle Eastern markets.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mahlepi, (optional)
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and place oil, butter, eggs, lemon zest and mahlepi, if using, in the well. Mix with a fork, incorporating flour from the sides. Then knead gently with your hands just until you have a smooth ball of dough; the dough will be quite soft.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8-inch flattened round. Cut the round into 8 wedges, then cut each wedge into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 6 inches long. Form each rope into a circle by overlapping the ends, or into a loop by twisting the ends together. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden. Remove to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per cookie: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1994