Little Easter Cookies (Paskalina)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
These cookies are often served with coffee or sweet wine for dunking. Mahlepi is a spice ground from the inner seeds of cherrystones; it tastes like bitter almonds. Arab people call it mahlab. You can find it in Greek or Middle Eastern markets.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mahlepi, (optional)
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and place oil, butter, eggs, lemon zest and mahlepi, if using, in the well. Mix with a fork, incorporating flour from the sides. Then knead gently with your hands just until you have a smooth ball of dough; the dough will be quite soft.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8-inch flattened round. Cut the round into 8 wedges, then cut each wedge into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 6 inches long. Form each rope into a circle by overlapping the ends, or into a loop by twisting the ends together. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden. Remove to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per cookie: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994