Little Easter Cookies (Paskalina)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
These cookies are often served with coffee or sweet wine for dunking. Mahlepi is a spice ground from the inner seeds of cherrystones; it tastes like bitter almonds. Arab people call it mahlab. You can find it in Greek or Middle Eastern markets.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mahlepi, (optional)
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and place oil, butter, eggs, lemon zest and mahlepi, if using, in the well. Mix with a fork, incorporating flour from the sides. Then knead gently with your hands just until you have a smooth ball of dough; the dough will be quite soft.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and pat into an 8-inch flattened round. Cut the round into 8 wedges, then cut each wedge into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 6 inches long. Form each rope into a circle by overlapping the ends, or into a loop by twisting the ends together. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 15 to 18 minutes, or until light golden. Remove to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per cookie: 66 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 15 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994