From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This easy cinnamon-spiked granola is loaded with almonds, walnuts and pepitas, but substitute other nuts and seeds if you prefer. For vegans who donâ€™t eat honey, this can be made with all maple syrup.
- 6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pepitas (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325Â°F. Line a roasting pan or large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, almonds, walnuts and pepitas in a large bowl. Whisk maple syrup, oil, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Pour over the oat mixture and toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly and evenly browned and starting to dry out, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool completely in the pan before serving or storing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are green seeds with a delicate nutty flavor. They are sold raw, salted and/or roasted, and can be found in the natural-foods section of many super markets and natural-foods stores.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 267 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 60 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If youâ€™re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When youâ€™re trying to lose weight, you donâ€™t need to skimp on...
The next time youâ€™re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesnâ€™t have to be time-intensive...
Thereâ€™s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If youâ€™re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012