From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This easy cinnamon-spiked granola is loaded with almonds, walnuts and pepitas, but substitute other nuts and seeds if you prefer. For vegans who donâ€™t eat honey, this can be made with all maple syrup.
- 6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pepitas (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325Â°F. Line a roasting pan or large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, almonds, walnuts and pepitas in a large bowl. Whisk maple syrup, oil, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Pour over the oat mixture and toss to coat. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly and evenly browned and starting to dry out, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool completely in the pan before serving or storing.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are green seeds with a delicate nutty flavor. They are sold raw, salted and/or roasted, and can be found in the natural-foods section of many super markets and natural-foods stores.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 267 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 60 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (32% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Donâ€™t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If youâ€™re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If youâ€™re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- March/April 2012