From EatingWell: November/December 1996
Inspired by the Linzertorte, a buttery Austrian confection, these raspberry-filled cookies are a pretty addition to your holiday cookie platter.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl.
- Combine sugar, oil and the browned butter in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into the sugar mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out between sheets of parchment or wax paper to an even 1/16-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet, with the paper still attached, and freeze for at least 1 hour and for up to 3 days.
- Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out an even number of circles. Cut the center out of half of the circles with a thimble or 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer the solid cookies to a prepared baking sheet with a metal spatula, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. Lay the cookies with the holes on top of the solid cookies.
- Whisk raspberry jam in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch and lightly browned on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Per serving: 67 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1996