From EatingWell: November/December 1996
Inspired by the Linzertorte, a buttery Austrian confection, these raspberry-filled cookies are a pretty addition to your holiday cookie platter.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl.
- Combine sugar, oil and the browned butter in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into the sugar mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out between sheets of parchment or wax paper to an even 1/16-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet, with the paper still attached, and freeze for at least 1 hour and for up to 3 days.
- Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out an even number of circles. Cut the center out of half of the circles with a thimble or 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer the solid cookies to a prepared baking sheet with a metal spatula, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. Lay the cookies with the holes on top of the solid cookies.
- Whisk raspberry jam in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch and lightly browned on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Per serving: 67 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1996