From EatingWell: November/December 1996
Inspired by the Linzertorte, a buttery Austrian confection, these raspberry-filled cookies are a pretty addition to your holiday cookie platter.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl.
- Combine sugar, oil and the browned butter in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into the sugar mixture; mix on low speed just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out between sheets of parchment or wax paper to an even 1/16-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet, with the paper still attached, and freeze for at least 1 hour and for up to 3 days.
- Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out an even number of circles. Cut the center out of half of the circles with a thimble or 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer the solid cookies to a prepared baking sheet with a metal spatula, spacing them about 1/2 inch apart. Lay the cookies with the holes on top of the solid cookies.
- Whisk raspberry jam in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon jam into the center of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch and lightly browned on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Per serving: 67 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1996