Linguine with Roasted Summer Vegetables
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Instead of swimming in a cream sauce, linguine is tossed with roasted vegetables and garlic puree for a full flavor without much fat.
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 10 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 small zucchini, (8 ounces total), quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small summer squash, (8 ounces), quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into chunks
- 8 scallions, white and tender green parts only, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound linguine
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine stock and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until garlic is tender.
- Place broth, garlic and vinegar in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, bell pepper and scallions in a large bowl. Drizzle oil over the top, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat well. Place on a baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Toss with the roasted vegetables and garlic puree. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Per serving: 355 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 105 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 10 g fiber; 138 mg sodium; 782 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (107% daily value), Selenium (82% dv), Vitamin A (47% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Folate (34% dv), Iron (29% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992