Linguine with Fennel & Butter Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Earthy fennel and creamy butter beans top whole-wheat linguine in this quick and healthy pasta recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen butter beans, (baby lima beans)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seed and crushed red pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 81 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Selenium (82% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992