Linguine with Fennel & Butter Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Earthy fennel and creamy butter beans top whole-wheat linguine in this quick and healthy pasta recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen butter beans, (baby lima beans)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seed and crushed red pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 81 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Selenium (82% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992