Linguine with Fennel & Butter Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Earthy fennel and creamy butter beans top whole-wheat linguine in this quick and healthy pasta recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen butter beans, (baby lima beans)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seed and crushed red pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 81 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Selenium (82% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992