Linguine with Fennel & Butter Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Earthy fennel and creamy butter beans top whole-wheat linguine in this quick and healthy pasta recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen butter beans, (baby lima beans)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seed and crushed red pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 81 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Selenium (82% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992