Linguine with Fennel & Butter Beans
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Earthy fennel and creamy butter beans top whole-wheat linguine in this quick and healthy pasta recipe.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen butter beans, (baby lima beans)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, fennel seed and crushed red pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large shallow bowl. Add the vegetables and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 81 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 16 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (126% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (22% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (26% dv), Magnesium (39% dv), Selenium (82% dv), Zinc (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992