Lime-Honey Glazed Chicken
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
The sweet and tangy lime-honey marinade is simmered on the stovetop and then used as a sauce to baste and glaze the chicken. Don't let the chicken marinate any longer than 2 hours; overmarinating in soy sauce and lime juice can make the texture of the meat spongy.
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs, skin and excess fat removed
- 2 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts, skin and excess fat removed, cut in half crosswise
- Mix honey, soy sauce, lime zest, lime juice and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 20 minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade (reserve marinade) and place bone-side down (with the thick part of the meat facing up) on the unheated side of the grill rack. Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the marinade in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and boil until reduced by about half and thickened to a glaze, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Rotate the chicken to other spots on the unheated portion of the grill to ensure even cooking and lightly brush with some of the glaze. Cover and continue roasting, basting once more about halfway through cooking, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat without touching bone registers 165°F, 10 to 20 minutes more.
Per serving: 227 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 0 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2009