Lima Beans with Chorizo
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
A bit of chorizo sausage gives these beans a sassy hit of smoke and spice. Serve them as is (on small plates) or heaped onto slices of garlic-rubbed toast.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, finely diced (see Tip)
- 3 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Add lima beans, wine, broth and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and salt. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
- Tip: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, smoked pork sausage commonly used in tapas dishes, but it's rather high in fat. There is also a Mexican style of chorizo, typically uncooked; the Spanish chorizo is fully cooked. Wellshire Farms offers a delicious reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, available at Whole Foods and wellshirefarms.com. If you can't find reduced-fat chorizo but still want to keep the fat in check, use just 1 ounce of full-fat chorizo in this recipe.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2007