Lima Beans with Chorizo
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
A bit of chorizo sausage gives these beans a sassy hit of smoke and spice. Serve them as is (on small plates) or heaped onto slices of garlic-rubbed toast.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, finely diced (see Tip)
- 3 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Add lima beans, wine, broth and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and salt. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
- Tip: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, smoked pork sausage commonly used in tapas dishes, but it's rather high in fat. There is also a Mexican style of chorizo, typically uncooked; the Spanish chorizo is fully cooked. Wellshire Farms offers a delicious reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, available at Whole Foods and wellshirefarms.com. If you can't find reduced-fat chorizo but still want to keep the fat in check, use just 1 ounce of full-fat chorizo in this recipe.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2007