Lima Beans with Chorizo
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
A bit of chorizo sausage gives these beans a sassy hit of smoke and spice. Serve them as is (on small plates) or heaped onto slices of garlic-rubbed toast.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, finely diced (see Tip)
- 3 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Add lima beans, wine, broth and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and salt. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
- Tip: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, smoked pork sausage commonly used in tapas dishes, but it's rather high in fat. There is also a Mexican style of chorizo, typically uncooked; the Spanish chorizo is fully cooked. Wellshire Farms offers a delicious reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, available at Whole Foods and wellshirefarms.com. If you can't find reduced-fat chorizo but still want to keep the fat in check, use just 1 ounce of full-fat chorizo in this recipe.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2007