Lima Beans with Chorizo
From EatingWell: March/April 2007
A bit of chorizo sausage gives these beans a sassy hit of smoke and spice. Serve them as is (on small plates) or heaped onto slices of garlic-rubbed toast.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, finely diced (see Tip)
- 3 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes more. Add lima beans, wine, broth and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and salt. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
- Tip: Spanish-style chorizo is a seasoned, smoked pork sausage commonly used in tapas dishes, but it's rather high in fat. There is also a Mexican style of chorizo, typically uncooked; the Spanish chorizo is fully cooked. Wellshire Farms offers a delicious reduced-fat Spanish-style chorizo, available at Whole Foods and wellshirefarms.com. If you can't find reduced-fat chorizo but still want to keep the fat in check, use just 1 ounce of full-fat chorizo in this recipe.
Per serving: 150 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2007