Lima Bean Spread with Cumin & Herbs
Humble limas are transformed into a sensational Mediterranean spread that is vibrant with a mix of fresh herbs and spices. You can substitute frozen edamame beans for the limas in Step 1; cook according to package directions.
- 1 10-ounce package frozen lima beans
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lima beans, garlic and crushed red pepper; cook until the beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in the liquid.
- Drain the beans and garlic. Transfer to a food processor. Add oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper; process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, stir in mint, cilantro and dill.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per tablespoon: 25 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 56 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient