Light “Whipped Cream”
An extremely versatile surrogate whipped cream. It provides the finishing touch for bread pudding, crisps, cobblers, angel food cake—anything that you would normally slather with whipped cream.
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk, chilled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Beat evaporated milk in a chilled deep mixing bowl with electric beaters until it is the consistency of whipped cream, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, yogurt and liqueur and beat until thickened, several minutes longer. Serve within 1/2 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Whipping Evaporated Fat-Free Milk
- When thoroughly chilled, canned evaporated fat-free milk whips up into a light frothy topping that can be used as a substitute for whipped cream. Before beating, place it in a mixing bowl in the freezer until ice crystals form around edge of bowl, about 30 minutes. Chill beater also. Whipped cream will usually double in volume, but evaporated fat-free milk will triple. The air bubbles dissipate quickly, so it works best in mousses that are bound with gelatin or frozen. Evaporated fat-free milk has a distinctive flavor, which can overpower delicate dishes. It works best when combined with vibrant flavors.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation