Light “Whipped Cream”
An extremely versatile surrogate whipped cream. It provides the finishing touch for bread pudding, crisps, cobblers, angel food cake—anything that you would normally slather with whipped cream.
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk, chilled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Beat evaporated milk in a chilled deep mixing bowl with electric beaters until it is the consistency of whipped cream, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, yogurt and liqueur and beat until thickened, several minutes longer. Serve within 1/2 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Whipping Evaporated Fat-Free Milk
- When thoroughly chilled, canned evaporated fat-free milk whips up into a light frothy topping that can be used as a substitute for whipped cream. Before beating, place it in a mixing bowl in the freezer until ice crystals form around edge of bowl, about 30 minutes. Chill beater also. Whipped cream will usually double in volume, but evaporated fat-free milk will triple. The air bubbles dissipate quickly, so it works best in mousses that are bound with gelatin or frozen. Evaporated fat-free milk has a distinctive flavor, which can overpower delicate dishes. It works best when combined with vibrant flavors.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)