Light “Whipped Cream”
An extremely versatile surrogate whipped cream. It provides the finishing touch for bread pudding, crisps, cobblers, angel food cake—anything that you would normally slather with whipped cream.
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk, chilled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Beat evaporated milk in a chilled deep mixing bowl with electric beaters until it is the consistency of whipped cream, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, yogurt and liqueur and beat until thickened, several minutes longer. Serve within 1/2 hour.
Tips & Notes
- Whipping Evaporated Fat-Free Milk
- When thoroughly chilled, canned evaporated fat-free milk whips up into a light frothy topping that can be used as a substitute for whipped cream. Before beating, place it in a mixing bowl in the freezer until ice crystals form around edge of bowl, about 30 minutes. Chill beater also. Whipped cream will usually double in volume, but evaporated fat-free milk will triple. The air bubbles dissipate quickly, so it works best in mousses that are bound with gelatin or frozen. Evaporated fat-free milk has a distinctive flavor, which can overpower delicate dishes. It works best when combined with vibrant flavors.
Per tablespoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 7 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation